Welcome!

In an effort to collect resources that may be helpful to others traveling similar roads, I offer this blog/resource. My themed blogs (links below) are central locations for articles that have been helpful to me so far, as a parent influenced strongly by gentle and attachment parenting, who is trying to go greener here in Cleveland. I'm crunchylite, because I think people take precedence over any list of practices, and believe that stress is far more toxic than any manmade chemicals... Thanks to all of you who I've stolen articles from so far!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saag Paneer--My Favorite Vegetarian Freezer Meal

I wanted to pin the recipe for saag paneer on Pinterest, but couldn't find it online. Here is where I thought it was, and it may have been, but I can't find it there any more.  I've modified it anyway.



In spite of the ...very green...appearance, this has become a favorite at our house (well at least till I OD'd my husband on it). It includes tomatoes, which he usually won't eat. It's vegetarian but very satisfying because of the paneer. And it is very easy to freeze. I quadruple the recipe when I make it (not that much harder) and then freeze most of it. I freeze the paneer separately from the saag, and often freeze some rice too in case I forget to start the rice cooker earlier in the day.

Here is what I do:

Spinach - 1 frozen chopped box
Paneer - 7 oz or 200 g (1/2 to one package from the store, or half what I make)
Oil – 3 tbsp
Onions – 2 med, chopped
Ginger – 1-2″ pc, minced
Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
Water – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2 large or 1, 14oz can diced (pureed)
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt - to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Heavy Whipping Cream – 8 tbsp or to taste (I use milk or soy milk)

Instructions:
1. Cook frozen Spinach with 1/2 cup Water in a microwave safe dish for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
2. Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a medium non-stick pan on high heat.
3. Once Oil is hot, add in the minced Onions, stir, cover and let it cook for about five minutes.
4. Add in the Ginger and Garlic and mix. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
5. Add in the Tomatoes & spinach, cover and cook.
6. Use an immersion blender to blend everything so far to the consistency of your choice--I go for slightly chunky. This conceals the tomatoes from my husband, who usually refuses to eat them.
7. While the Masala is cooking, cube storebought paneer to desired size…1/2″ cubes work well, and fry in a separate pan. If you made it yourself and it is very soft, skip this step as it won't really accomplish anything.
8. Mix and add the Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Chili Powder & Turmeric Powder.
9. Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
10. Add in the desired amount of Cream and /or Milk. Mix and cook for another few minutes.
11. Add paneer to the spinach mixture
12. Serve with rice and/or naan bread. I love the frozen garlic naan from Trader Joe's.

If you want to make your own paneer, it's not that hard, and it's quite tasty. It's not necessarily cheaper than buying it, but it's kind of fun to do. Here's the link to the recipe I used:

No comments:

Post a Comment